November 11, 2010

Introduction

Today marks the date of my 25th birthday. I figure this is as good a day as any to finally get this thing started.


Welcome to the Green Zebra Market Garden Blog. Green Zebra is the name of my produce stand at the local farmer's market and is also the name of a interesting and gorgeous heirloom tomato. My goal is for this blog to be a place to document and share some of my experiences with gardening, cooking, crafting, photography, and other areas of interest.

First, you should know a little bit about me. I am a graduate student pursuing a PhD in greenhouse floriculture. I started my third year of school this fall (I am in a five year program) and I am enjoying myself thoroughly. The basis of my research is to determine the best practices for growing bedding plants and potted plants in greenhouses. Specifically, my dissertation will focus on the use of light emitting diodes (LEDs) as an alternative light source for greenhouse crop production (but more on that later). You may not know this, but horticulture is pretty big business in the state of Michigan. Michigan ranked third in floriculture production behind California and Florida in 2009 (with a wholesale value of $397.4 million).

I've been gardening as long as I can remember. I have memories of digging furrows and planting seeds with my Mom when I was very young. I also remember finding grubs in the soil and being completely disgusted that our food was growing in the same place. I guess I got over it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...