December 3, 2010

Christmas Cactus in Bloom


I have a fairly large Christmas cactus in my living room that is currently covered in flowers. This plant used to belong to my grandmother, but it was passed on to me when she could no longer take care of it.  I've had the plant for several years already, but this is the best bloom ever!

Christmas cacti bloom in response to photoperiod (specifically due to shortening photoperiod associated with the transition from summer to winter).  If you want your Christmas cactus to bloom, make sure it is not near an artificial light source. If you put your plant under a lamp that is often turned on at night, the plant will perceive this as a lengthened photoperiod and either delay or prevent flowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...