January 17, 2011

Garden Goals for 2011

I don't usually do New Year's resolutions, but I have recently decided on a few goals for my 2011 gardening year.

1) Eat more vegetables. I would especially like to try to eat more of the vegetables that I grow. I should try to incorporate veggies from my garden into every single meal this summer. I have a bad habit of growing random vegetables that interest me, but then I never actually get around to eating them! For example, I've grown swiss chard the last two years, but never eaten a single leaf. Swiss chard is beautiful enough to grow for its ornamental value, but I'm probably really missing out on some good stuff!

Swiss Chard: always beautiful, but what to do with it?

2) Keep better records. I usually keep track of the dates that I sow my seeds, but I never remember to record things like plant-out date (if transplanting), date of first harvest, or harvest yield. Generally, I remember things like flavor, disease susceptibility or resistance, and growth habit. Over the years, this knowledge can get a little jumbled and should probably be written down.

3) Plant fall crops. Every year I intend to sow a fall crop of carrots, lettuce, broccoli, cilantro, etc., but I always lose track of time or forget. It's a shame because I could plant all kinds of fall veggies in vacant spots that have opened up over the course of the summer. I also should try to build mini hoop-houses for season extension.

4) Grow strawberries. This will be a first for me.

5) Clean up my wild black raspberry patch and my red raspberry patch. These were engulfed by weeds last year and my harvest was almost nothing.


And finally...

6) Be a better composter. My goals are to chop up my compostables better (I've been meaning to purchase a machete just for this task), turn the pile fairly often (I never do this), and compost more cardboard, tissue, and paper (yes, these can be composted).

2 comments:

  1. Swiss Chard... YUM! You can do anything with it that you would do with spinach. One of my favorites: Saute some chicken and onions, and when they are done, toss in a big handful of swiss chard chopped into bits, sprinkle it over with sesame seeds, a little hot sauce, and a drizzle of rice vinegar (or another mild vinegar). Stir to mix is all up, cover the pan and let steam for just half a minute or so, until the chard is wilted. Serve over noodles (I like soda, but any sort is yummy) and sprinkle liberally with crumbled feta cheese. It is absolutely delicious. I also love all the same ingredients cooked into an omelet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I could do better with keeping records too. I do have my sketch-ups of the garden layouts so I can easily rotate from year to year, but the part I want to mark down is when stuff came up, and when I harvest. I always THINK I'm going to remember, but never do.
    Best of luck on your goals!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...