January 20, 2011

Hand Dyed Fabric

My mom is and art quilter and has a huge fabric collection. For her October birthday, I asked her if there were any particular colors of fabric she was in need of. She said she could use green and turquoise. She thought I was going to buy her fabric from the craft store, but since I enjoy dying fabric and yarn, I decided to make her some hand-dyed pieces.

Turquoise and green hand dyed fabric for Mom's birthday.

Since the fabric was so much fun to make for her birthday, I decided to make some more for Christmas. This time she requested blues, purples, and “sky pieces” (for using as background fabric for landscape applique projects).

I have collected a lot of dye over the years and I have quite a few colors to choose from. I had a lot of fun mixing colors, dipping the fabrics in multiple colors, and splattering various dyes to make a variety of mottled fabrics.   

After dying the fabric, I let it set overnight
After sitting overnight, the excess dye is rinsed out before putting the fabric in the washing machine
Before washing, the fabric is very vibrant. Unfortunately, it loses some of its color in the wash. 
The fabric gets very wrinkled and frayed a lot in the washing machine, but it's fairly easy to iron and clean up.
A variety of blues and purples.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...