December 14, 2011

Do You Feel A Draft?

Despite the freezing temperatures, my poor little molting hen seems to be feeling and looking better. The cold doesn't seem to bother her!

Her rump is completely featherless, but you can now see new feathers starting to poke through the skin.

I've been trying to keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't getting bullied by the other hens. I also want to prevent her from getting an infection. She does seem to spend a lot of time picking at herself, but I imagine that the new feathers coming in are itchy. It looks like the bloody spots she used to have are healing up just fine, so I'm not worried.

It's amazing how small a chicken looks when all its tail feathers fall out. Checkers currently looks tiny compared to the other hens, even though she's normally in the middle of the pack in terms of size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...