March 7, 2011

Refrigerator Pickles

These crisp and garlicky pickles are fast and delicious and don't require any canning skills. They will keep in the fridge for at least a week, but I doubt they'll last that long.


Ingredients:
Cucumbers: either hothouse cucumbers (the shrink-wrapped kind from the store), or homegrown
Rice Vinegar: a.k.a. sushi vinegar (I prefer this to most other vinegars)
Dill: fresh or dried (I dried some store-bought dill in my dehydrator)
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Sugar

Instructions:
Slice the cucumber very thinly and put in a bowl. Barely cover with vinegar. Chop up garlic and dill (if using fresh dill). Combine garlic, dill, garlic, salt, and sugar (to taste) with the cucumber and vinegar. The amount of sugar you use depends on how sweet (use more) or vinegary (use less) you want your pickles. The pickles will be ready in as little as an hour, but they are best if you let them sit overnight in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is similar to my grandma's fridge pickles. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,like you wrote the book in it or something. Freezer Repair Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...