January 18, 2012

Aged Eggs

I've been getting eggs from my chickens for over 6 months now and I recently realized that I still had a carton (or two, shh) of their eggs way back from the beginning. I opened up the carton and started laughing because they used to be so tiny! Here's a side-by-side shot of last week's eggs on the left (notice that the Aracuana is not laying) next to the first round of eggs on the right.



I decided it was probably time to get rid of the 6-month-old eggs, so I cracked them down the garbage disposal and put the shells in the compost pile. Amazingly, even though they seemed a little shrunken inside, not a single one smelled off...even after 6 months.


These'll make a nice addition to the compost heap.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... those hens have come a long way in a year. I lightly toast my eggshells, pulverize them with a mortar and pestle, and feed them back to the chickens as an extra calcium boost. They love it when it gets mixed in with some oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eggs that you would get from the store would have been older than that. lol Really nice looking eggs...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...