February 17, 2014

Grow Your Own Pea Shoots

I'm getting ready to teach a class on growing sprouts, shoots, and microgreens in mid-March, so I've been experimenting with a lot of different types of seeds and methods for growing them.  Most recently, I'm experimenting with growing pea shoots. I've never eaten them, so I'm excited to try some once they're ready.

I bought a 2 pound back of dried green peas from an ethnic food store (they whole bag was only $2.50). I soaked the peas overnight, then rinsed them every 12 hours for the next two days. At that point, they looked like this:


Then I spread them thickly over some potting mix.


And covered them very lightly with some more potting mix.

I left the pot in the mist-house at work over the weekend, so I'll update once I take more photos of the progress.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll love them; it's surprising how sweet they are.
    It's half term holiday this week and I am going to get my grandkids to sow some, they'll usually eat anything they've grown themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...