November 12, 2010

Introduction (part 2)

The first garden that I called my own (constructed, planted, tended, and harvested by yours truly) occurred when I was about 13 years old. When I look back at that first garden, I realize that it was basically a sandbox in full shade. I didn't know much about gardening at that point in time. The plot was completely planted with hybrid tomatoes. I didn't even like tomatoes at the time, so I'm not sure why that's what I chose to grow. I think my parents had a bit to do with the decision since they were the ones who shelled out the cash for my seedlings. It took 10 more years and my first sampling of heirloom tomatoes to change my mind...and over 10 years later, it's still the plant that dominates my garden space.

A variety of heirloom tomatoes from my 2011 garden.


Links: 

2 comments:

  1. Daedre,

    I was pleased to see you use the Green Zebra for you market garden!

    I named the Green Zebra tomato some 38 years ago back on the Kansas farm I grew up on. The crossing work I did to create Green Zebra started back in the 50's.

    If you or any of your readers need to know more about tomato breeding just go to my tatermater forum or my tatermater blog. Thanks.

    Tom Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fo the info Tom!

    I've been meaning to start breeding my own heirloom the last two summers, but I always lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...