November 14, 2010

Introduction (part 3)

I've lived my whole life in Michigan. I dream of warmer climates and will most likely leave the state to find work at some point. I can't wait to change hardiness zones and be able to grow a broader range of plants. Gardeners in my growing zone, 5b, are somewhat limited in terms of what they can grow successfully, yet there are plenty of options. Michigan winters are fairly harsh and many crop and ornamental plants cannot survive year round. The seasonal nature of gardening in Michigan can be frustrating for me sometimes. The winter months of November through March are almost completely devoid of outdoor gardening opportunities. However, I keep busy by planning next year's garden, collecting and perusing seeds catalogues, organizing my seed collection, and starting seedlings in my basement, to name a few examples.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...