I picked up a bushel of Empire apples at the MSU horticulture farm fruit sale last Friday. I wanted to get a mixture of apples for making applesauce, but we weren't allowed to mix bushels together. I was told that Empire would be a good combination of tart and sweet (I like somewhat tart applesauce and I didn't want to have to add any extra sugar).
After looking at these photos, I'm really glad I washed the apples...look at all that bluish pesticide residue!
Since I have my awesome Roma food strainer, I didn't have to peel or core my apples. I just hacked each apple into about 8 pieces.
The apple chunks then went into a big pot with a little bit of water to simmer and soften.
After the apples were softened, I transferred them to the food strainer.
A simple turn of the crank, and the apples were pureed and the skins, cores, and seeds removed.
Here's a video of my food strainer in action (please ignore my filthy stovetop...it's canning season you know).
All the skins, cores, and seeds were separated from the apple pulp. This mess went into my compost bin. I thought about giving it to the chickens, but apple seeds contain cyanide compounds that can be bad in large quantities (such as this).
The pureed apples were then brought to a boil on the stove and then canned in water bath canner.
Two batches later and I got 8 pints and 6 quarts of applesauce! And, I still have another 8-10 pounds of apples left.