October 7, 2011

Hand Dyed Fabric for Mom

My mom's birthday is coming up again (happy 60th!) and I wanted to make her another batch of hand dyed fabric for her quilting projects (see here and here). I made her some fabric last year and she like it alot, so I thought I'd do it again.

Right after the dying process, each fabric piece is sealed in a plastic bag and let to rest for about 24 hours.

After resting, the excess dye is rinsed out and then the fabric is washed in the washing machine.

The colors are very vibrant when the fabric is wet, but a lot of the color usually washes out in the laundry.

Here are the first six fat-quarters (a quilting term meaning a quarter yard roughly in the shape of a square).

And here are the other six fat quarters.

I think this is one of my favorites (it combines my two favorite colors).

This one also turned out well. I was experimenting with using raw powdered dye sprinkled on to the fabric at the last minute. I think it looks pretty nice.


1 comment:

  1. The panels are beautiful. Handmade gifts are always special. I'd love to see what your mother turned them into.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...