November 11, 2011

How Do You Find The Time?

I thought I'd share a little nugget of information I just learned about, but first, here's the reason why I'm sharing it...

On many occasions, I've had friends, coworkers, and even my parents ask about how I find the time to do all the gardening/cooking/chicken keeping/crafting-related stuff that I enjoy. I'm not sure why, but this question always makes me kind of annoyed and defensive. I feel like they're secretly thinking "she must not have a whole lot going on in her life in order to have time for all these shenanigans."

So here comes the info-nugget I mentioned earlier: The average adult American watches between 4 and 5 hours of television EVERY DAY! Can you believe that?

from: http://www.furnitureclipart.com

I was so shocked by this figure when I first found out, I couldn't shut-up about it for almost an hour (which annoyed the boyfriend quite a bit). This is hard to believe because I can easily go several days without ever even turning on my television! I'm not saying I don't watch TV (I happen to love GLEE, Big Bang Theory, Community, and pretty much everything on PBS), but I can't even imagine logging 28 to 35 hours per week of TV time. That's almost a full-time job!

So if you're ever wondering how people like me find the time to do all the stuff we do, just remember that we're fortunate enough to have dozens of hours of free-time that the average American spends watching sit-coms.

P.S. Today is my birthday, so that means I have permission to write a grumpy post AND it means this blog is celebrating its 1st birthday! Huzzah!

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you.
    I don't watch TV either. It's such a time suck but so is reading everything available on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, surfing the web can be a huge time suck too!

    It's scary to think that the 4 to 5 hour figure is just for TV. I can't imagine what that number would get bumped up to if you included youtube videos, online news, social networking sites, and online games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha you make a good point! It's either one thing or another, watching tv, playing video games, it's amazing how lost one can get in false realities. A bad blogging habit will eat up your time as well :P. Still I often react the same way to that question, I think the problem is people see gardening as work, so they're surprised you'd spend your time off doing it. In reality it's probably the most fun one can have, even if you do break a sweat once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...