June 20, 2013

Dirty Rice Stuffed Swiss Chard

I had a fantastic version of this dish at a friend's house last fall. I was invited to a dinner party where nearly all the guest were somehow involved in urban agriculture...needless to say, it was an amazing meal. One of the best dishes consisted of stuffed swiss chard leaves with a filling of rice, cheese, raisins, and who knows what else. I don't really follow recipes, or measure, so here's the general gist of what I did.

First I picked the largest leaves I could find. Then I blanched them for about 30 seconds in boiling water, just to soften them up. I removed the stem from each leaf.

Meanwhile, I cooked some ground turkey and white rice and combine those with some parsley, garlic, and golden raisins.


Each leaf was stuffed with maybe a quarter cup of the rice mixture and they were wrapped egg-roll-style.



I layered the stuffed leaves in a casserole dish on top of a thin layer of tomato sauce.


I covered the rolls with more tomato sauce and parmesan cheese and baked for maybe 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.


I don't have any photos of the final product (they didn't last long). Overall, they reminded me of stuffed peppers. Next time I might omit the raisins. They were good, but just kind of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...