April 6, 2011

My First Quiche

I can't believe I've never made a quiche before, but it's true. With my impending eggy-abundance, I'm trying to find new egg recipes that I actually like. The challenge is that I don't particularly like eggs. I don't like them fried or scrambled, or any of the usual ways. I do like them hard-boiled, scrambled into pad thai, dropped into hot soup, or incorporated into baked good (although that doesn't really count). I guess I can add quiche to my "likes" list because this was delicious!

Crustless Quiche with Bacon, Spinach, Shrooms and Swiss

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
4 eggs
6 oz swiss cheese, shredded
6-8 oz bacon (omit, if you want your quiche vegetarian)
6 oz mixed sliced mushrooms (button, oyster, shiitake)
1 cup cooked spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Fry the bacon and drain on paper towel. Chop the bacon into small pieces once cool. Drain off most of the bacon grease and saute the mushrooms in the remaining grease. When the mushrooms are almost done, add the spinach and cook until wilted. Layer the bacon, mushrooms and spinach, and swiss cheese in a nonstick pie pan. In a large bowl beat the eggs, cream, and milk together (I used an electric mixer) until well combined and custardy.  Pour egg mixture over the filling. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when poked in the center of the quiche. Let the quiche rest for about 5 minutes before cutting slices.

I would suggest serving this quiche with a side salad because it is very rich. It reheats really well, so don't worry if you have leftovers.


Before baking

After baking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...