July 19, 2011

Cucumbers Coming In

It has been fun watching the Suyo Long cucumbers develop into all sorts of silly shapes.

Lemon cucumber. I didn't have much luck with these last year, so the fact that I've even harvested two this year is a good sign.

Suyo Long cucumber. These supposedly taste good (and aren't too seedy) even when they get much large than this. I saw some vendors at the farmer's market selling some enormous specimens.

West Indian Gherkin. These are not turning out to be what I was expecting! I guess there's a big difference between West Indian Gherkin and Mexican Sour Gherkin. Oh well, I bet they'll still be good!

4 comments:

  1. For the first time, I grew suyo long too. I've had other "seedless" cukes before but this one is definitely a slower grower and the shapes are definitely quirky. You've got some unusual veggies. where did you get your seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get most of my seeds from either Pinetree Garden Seeds or from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. However, the suyo long came from the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on Baker Creek. They have some very unusual varieties that I've never heard of before, like the dragons egg cuke. I'll have to try that next year. When I don't save seeds, I usually get them from Seeds of Change though the variety isn't as extensive. It was curious to me that Baker Creek had a cuke invented in 1992 and it was considered an heirloom. do you know what qualifies a seed for "heirloom" status?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is considered 'heirloom' probably varies by seed company. To some people heirloom just means open pollinated, so cucumber from 1992 could already be an heirloom if it is open pollinated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...